- Professor and Head of Department
Bilkent University, Department of Mathematics, Ankara, Turkey (2016- )
- Principal Investigator
Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, Germany (2002-2016)
- Senior Research Scientist
Artesis Technology Systems, Istanbul, Turkey (1998-2002)
- Assistant Professor
Koc University, Department of Mathematics, Istanbul (1994-1998)
- Ph.D. 1994, and Sc.M. 1991, Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, RI
Thesis Advisor: John Mallet-Paret
- M.S. with High Honors, Systems and Control Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 1989
- B.S. with Honors, Mechanical Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 1985
- Robert College, Istanbul, 1981
- Dynamical systems, delay differential equations, networks and graph theory, complex systems, difference equations, control theory, delayed feedback systems, mathematical biology and neuroscience, industrial mathematics.
- Convenor (with D. Mugnolo and P. Kurasov) of the program Discrete and Continuous Models in the Theory of Networks, ZiF Center for Interdisciplinary Research, University of Bielefeld (2012–2017).
Senior Member, Center for Dynamics, Technical University of Dresden (2015- )
European Physical Journal B, topical issue for ECCS’09 (publ. 2010; with Holger Kantz)
Theory in Biosciences, topical issue for ECCS’10 (publ. 2012; with Markus Kirkilionis)
- Executive Committee, Complex Systems Society (formerly the European Complex Systems Society) (2007-2014).
- Steering Committee, European Conferences on Complex Systems (2008-2012).
- Max Planck Delegation for improving scientific collaboration between Germany and Turkey (2008- ).
- Selection Committee, Max Planck Society Partner Institute for Computational Biology, Shanghai (2011).
Conference Chair and Program Committees
- Chair of the track “Multi-Level Modeling” at the 2015 Complex Systems Digital Campus World e-Conference.
- Chair of the track “Mathematics and Simulation” at the 2010 European Conference on Complex Systems.
- Co-chair of the track “Mathematics and Simulation” at the 2009 European Conference on Complex Systems.
- Program Committee Member:
- COMPLEXIS 2016: 1st International Conference on Complex Information Systems, Rome, Italy, 22–24 April, 2016.
- Dynamical Structures in Complex Systems: An Information-Theoretic Perspective, Lucca, Italy, Sept. 25, 2014.
- IEEE SMC: Int. Conf. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Manchester, UK, Oct. 13–16, 2013.
External Referee for Funding and Awards Bodies
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC)
- Chile National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICYT)
- Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT)
- Research Corporation for Science Advancement, USA (RCSA)
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
- Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
- Discrete and Continuous Models in the Theory of Networks, Bielefeld, Germany, Nov.27-Dec.1, 2017.
- 2nd Dresden-Leipzig Dynamics Day, Leipzig, Germany, Jan.22, 2016.
- Summer school and workshop on Dynamics of Multi-Level Systems, Dresden, Germany, June 1-19, 2015. (with K. Lindgren and E. Olbrich)
- COMPOLICY – Complex evolutionary dynamics: actors, territories and policies, Satellite workshop at the ECCS’14: European Conference on Complex Systems, Lucca, Italy, Sept. 24, 2014. (with F. Niglia et al.)
- Dynamics of Multilevel Complex Systems, Satellite workshop at the ECCS’14: European Conference on Complex Systems, Lucca, Italy, Sept. 25, 2014. (with P.~Bourgine et al.)
- Invited minisymposium on Differential Delay Equations at the 10th AIMS Conf. Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, Madrid, Spain, July 7–11, 2014. (with B. Lani-Wayda and H.-O. Walther)
- Time delays in Networks, Tutorial workshop at the ECC’14: European Control Conference, Strasbourg, France, June 24, 2014.
- Time Delay Systems: Theory, Numerics, and Analytical Approaches for Applications, Tutorial workshop at the 2013 IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, Florence, Italy, Dec. 9, 2013
- Mathematical Methods in Multi-Level Systems, Barcelona, Spain, Sept. 18, 2013.
- Time Delay Systems: Stability & Control in Applications, tutorial workshop at the European Control Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, July 16, 2013.
- Modeling Neural Mass Action in Brain Networks using Differential Equations, Berlin, Germany, July 22, 2009. (with T. Knösche)
- Networks, Dynamics, and Biology, Leipzig, Germany, Mar. 6, 2009.
- Genetic and Biological Networks, Dresden, Germany, Oct. 4, 2007.
- Complex Time-Delay Systems, Paris, France, Nov. 17, 2005.
External PhD Examiner, University of Bristol (2010); Université Paris Sud (2013)
Honorary Lecturer at the Summer Academy of the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes) (2010).
Extended Research Visits
Hokkaido University, Japan, Dept. Mathematics, 2006 (1 month).
Supélec, France, Laboratory of Signals and Systems, 2014 (1 month).
Society Membership: American Mathematical Society (AMS), Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Complex Systems Society (CSS).
Reviewer for Journals: J. Differential Equations, J. Dynamics and Differential Equations, Nonlinearity, SIAM J. Appl. Dynamical Systems, SIAM J. Math. Analysis, J. Functional Analysis, J. Math. Analysis and Applications, Mathematica Applicanda, Phil. Trans. Royal Society A, Physica D, Chaos, Comm. Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review E, Physics Letters A, J. Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, European J. Physics, Int. J. Bifurcation and Chaos, Advances in Complex Systems, Int. J. Control, Automatica, Int. J. Robust and Nonlinear Control, IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems, IEEE Trans. Neural Networks, J. Sound and Vibration, Nonlinear Dynamics, BMC Systems Biology, Theory in Biosciences, Biological Cybernetics, J. Computational Neuroscience, Neurocomputing, Cognitive Neurodynamics.
- I have taken part in the founding of Artesis Technology Systems in 1998, and worked there as a senior research scientist as well as a shareholder until 2002. Artesis is a research company that develops original technologies in the area of model-based fault detection and condition monitoring for electrical machinery, and is a subsidiary of Arcelik A.S., a major European manufacturer of domestic appliances, better known for its Beko brand of products. My responsibilities at Artesis consisted of conducting and supervising the main research activities, including the modeling and analysis of nonlinear electro-mechanical systems; development of mathematical methods for system identification and fault detection, developing algorithms for control, parameter estimation, signal processing, and optimization, and implementing into high-tech industrial products. The original technology developed at Artesis has won several prestigious awards, among them the Technology Grand Prize of 1999, the biggest national technology award.
Major Grants & Honors
- MatheMACS: Mathematics for Multi-Level Anticipatory Complex Systems, Coordinator and PI (2012-2015). Supported by the European Union under the Seventh Framework Programme (grant no.318723); Total budget 3.3M EUR; EU contribution 2.5M EUR. The project’s final assessment by the expert board was Excellent : “the project has fully achieved its objectives and technical goals for the period and has even exceeded expectations”.
- Discrete and Continuous Models in the Theory of Networks, co-PI (with D. Mugnolo and P. Kurasov), 2012-2015 (extended until 2017 after successful completion.) Supported by ZiF, Center for Interdisciplinary Research; 100K EUR.
- Listed in Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (2003-2009) and Who’s Who in the World (2009).
- Landahl Travel Grant of the Society of Mathematical Biology (2005).
- Max Planck Society Research Fellowship (2002-2005).
- NATO Advanced Study Institute travel grant (2002).
- The Motor Quality Monitor (MQM) system, developed and patented by our research team at Artesis-Arcelik Technology Systems, received the Technology Grand Prize (1999), the highest national technology award, issued jointly by TUBITAK-TTGV-TUSIAD. Another original technology of Artesis, the Motor Condition Monitor (MCM), was a finalist in the competition for the same prize (2000). MCM also received Control Engineering Magazine’s Annual Editors’ Choice Award in technological advancement (2000).
- Elected to Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society (1992).
- Brown University Fellowship (1989); Graduate Assistantship (1990-1994).